Saturday, August 30, 2008

Otis the cat, Rotunda the fat

On April 15th Mom blogged about our sweet cat Otis and at the bottom she put up a little poem that us girls had put together. Little did we know that we only had a few more months to be with her. I remember when we first got her, just a tiny little fluff ball of a kitten and she was always purring. I also remember, just yesterday, she was on my lap (purring of course) and I had no idea that it would be my last time ever to cuddle her. :(

At 5:00 pm today a truck came barreling down our road; Otis was crossing the road at the exact same time and the driver either didn't see her, didn't care or thought it would be fun, but Otis got hit and was killed instantly by the truck. The driver didn't stop, he just kept on driving. Luckily a lady in a car right behind the truck stopped and told us that one of our cats had been killed. I am really glad that she stopped to tell us; I have found entirely to many of our animals dead beside the road. Not pretty.

And what of the 9 kittens that were now motherless? Well, we are attempting to hand feed them ourselves. After Otis got hit we ate a hurried dinner and then went to town to get some kitten milk replacer and three bottles. I just got finished trying to feed them but they wouldn't accept the bottles or the syringes; maybe they'll be hungry enough later to accept a bottle.
Yes it does sound fun to bottle feed kittens at first, but then you think about having to feed them every six hours, and making nine bottles and then feeding the squirmy little things at midnight.
If we're not able to make any head-way by tomorrow I think were going to contact a vet and ask if they'll take them.

I will keep you up-dated on them. Hopefully I won't be too sleepy though. :)

~B#2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Otis! :( I'm so sorry, Caity.

~Krista