Friday, August 22, 2008

Books



A very original title I know. But I couldn't think of any other title that would fit what I am blogging about today.


I am a book worm. There is nothing I would rather do than sit down and read a book; but it has to be a good book mind you.

I prefer non-fiction over fiction, ever since I first learned how to read I preferred to read non-fiction. Of the late though, I have found some fiction books that I haven't been able to put down. The name of these intriguing books? Anything that Charles Dickens wrote. :)


A few months ago Mom checked out 'Bleak House' from the library. I had never read anything by Dickens before so I told myself I would read 'Bleak House' as my first. The book itself looks daunting; with 1018 pages, a different print than I am used to and they wrote things different back then. As hard as I tried I couldn't get past chapter one. So I gave up for the time being and began on 'A Christmas Carol'. Much, much easier. I've seen the movie lots of times so that helped and it was shorter. After I finished that I doggedly started on 'Bleak house'. In the end I skipped chapter one and started at chapter two. It quickly became the #1 favorite book of mine. Dickens had a true talent for words and making his readers see what was going on. I couldn't think of how to describe the book so I copied down what I found online.


Bleak House tells the story of the case of Jarndyce vs. Jarndyce in Chancery court. Bleak House is in England, the red tape of the law, the world in all its grime and glory. Here you will meet fascinating characters such as Esther Summerson the first person narrator of several chapters; Detective Bucket the first detective in English fiction; the grotesque Smallweed family; the street sweeper Jo and the comic Jellyby family. There are countless other characters, a complex plot and English prose written with verve and joy!


Esther Summerson is my favorite character, Mr. Skimpole is second. I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes to read!!


Along with 'Bleak House' I am also reading an auto-biography written by Dickens himself. It's been really good. And of course there's always Tennyson's poems to read. All three of us girls have been enjoying that.


About the pics. I have always liked the old-looking books over the new-looking ones. I couldn't resist taking these shots. Aren't they pretty? Well your probably asleep reading about a bunch of dusty books. Sorry! But hey, now you know what we like to read, right?


~B#2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The "Bleak House" sounds interresting. You've almost persuaded me to read it, but :gulp: 1018 pages?? :D LOL

~Krista