Saturday, May 24, 2008

A strange occurance




Come thither my friends and I shallt tell thee a tale; A tale most strange, A tale that brings a smile but also brings tears, so listen my friends and hear the woefull tale of Boomer the bird.

Ookkaayy..anyway, B#2 again and today I get to tell you about yesterday's strange occurance. It was probably about late afternoon when coming from the living room we heard a strange tapping noise. Upon further investigation we found that a little orange and black bird was tapping furiously at one of the living room windows. I flipped through our well-used bird ID book and was able to Identify it as a male Bullock's Oriole. A beautiful bird that we only get in the summer (I guess he was a little early). After ten minutes or so he migrated to our Dining room windows. At first we thought maybe he was seeing his reflection and was trying to fight with it but our lights were off so there was no reflection to see and it didn't look like he was fighting with himself; He was just tapping at the window and watching us. I was able to get really close to him and snap some pics, He didn't mind at all in fact he wasn't the least bit afraid of us humans. So we decided that he must have been hand-raised and now wanted to be someones pet again. Of course I asked mom if we could let him in but a certain 17 year old brother convinced mom that it wasn't a good idea.
All throughout the evening and late into night he stayed there tapping away and watching us. It was his tapping that made us decide to name him Boomer, after the woodpecker in Walt Disney's Fox and The hound. Our Boomer also had a pretty litle mate who we dubbed Dinky, after the other bird in Fox and The hound

This morning somewhere around 7:00 a.m. something woke me up. Any guesses? It was a tap ,tap ,tap. Yup he was back and He wanted in. Later in the morning I looked for him but he was nowhere to be found. So I went out to the barn to milk the goat and take care of the animals. When I got inside the barn Otis met me a Cheshire grin that only cats can do. A few feet away was... The remains of Boomer the Bird.:(
He died a terrible death that he did not deserve, but he shall never be forgotten.
Thus ends my tale of woe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so sad! It makes me think of my pet scrub jay that we tamed. A cat got him too! :( That was a pretty little bird.

-Krista