Saturday, May 10, 2008

Granola


I have been experimenting lately with making granola. I have made lots in the past that just needed to be thrown in the trash but I think I finally figured it out....the trick for me seems to be not to leave it in oven until it is as dry as you would eat it since it hardens up more after you take it out. I do stir it quite often both in the oven and once you take it out. Below is the recipe that seems to work best for me. I quadrupled it and it makes about 1 and 1/2 gallons.


2cups rolled oats
1 cup nuts of your choice(we prefer sliced almonds)
1/2cup coconut(optional)
1/4cup wheat germ( I use ground flax seeds)
1/2cup honey or maple syrup
2Tablespoons oil(I use melted butter)
1cup dried fruit(we like dried cranberries)



In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and wheat germ or flax(optional). Stir together the honey or syrup and the melted butter or oil;stir into oat mixture. Spread evenly onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes in a 300 degree oven, stirring after 20 minutes. Take out before 30 minutes if it is looking brown since it will cook and harden more after you take it out of the oven. Since I quadruple the above recipe it takes the full 30 minutes to cook on multiple cookie sheets but if you are just doing a single recipe it may not take the full 30 minutes. Stir often after taking out of the oven and wait until it is cool and hardened to put into a container. The book says you can store it in an airtight container for up to a week but I do think I have stored ours a bit longer or you could freeze it. NOTE: don't add the dried fruit until after you have taken it out of the oven. I have put it in before cooking it and it can make some of the cranberries very hard.

3 comments:

Debra said...

I have had the same experience with Granola. I cook it until it 'seems' done, but we all know by that time, it's overdone!

I have used this recipe and love it from Biblical Womanhood, it's called Lazy Granola. I make mine in a big cast iron skillet. It's super easy. I especially like the 'go to bed' part of the recipe.

:o)


Lazy Granola

Mix 1/2 cup each of brown sugar, oil, and honey in a saucepan.

Bring to a low boil.

Add 1 tsp. cinnamon and 2 tsp. vanilla.

Pour over 7 cups of oats in a large pan.

Stir until coated.

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

Take out and stir. Put pan back in over, turn off, and go to bed.

Kelly said...

that sounds great. I have been wanting a different recipe especially since my little ones pick out all of the cranberries. I also have a neat recipe from a friend called fried oats if you are interested. It is different from granola but it would be eaten with milk the same way.

Voorhees Family said...

Hey Kelly,
I love your picture...your granola looks so pretty, and edible too. :) That's the main thing. Now you've got me wanting to try it. The girls and I love granola.