Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Going...going...gone!

What a day! The Lord worked things out perfectly.

This morning I told mom that I didn't know how much longer I would be able to continue with the kittens; they were very troublesome last night and meowed to be fed more than usual. Mom and I had already called every vet and animal shelter around but none of them would take them, school starts next week for us so things would become increasingly complicated and we ran out of kitten formula this morning so we were at our wits end on what to do.
So what did we do? I called the Sheridan Vet Clinic this morning and asked them how much it would cost to euthanize 9 kittens. The price wasn't to bad, cheaper than it would be to raise them all to adult hood. The gal who I talked to felt really bad for us and told me to not make an appointment yet but to let her call around and see if she could find anyone to take the kittens.

So we waited and waited to see if she would call us back but we needed to go to town today so I had to call once more and this time set the appointment. I had a different lady on the phone this time, she too felt really bad that we had to put them down but she set us up for 4 pm this evening. When I hung up I felt absolutely terrible, I knew I wouldn't be the one to put them down but I felt like a partner in crime.

When the time came to go the the vet I begged mom to let me stay home. I knew if I went then I would cry and I really didn't want the vet to see me cry. Mom relented and B#3 went instead.
After they left B#1 went out to dig the hole for them; I felt sick to my stomach.

Later when mom and B#3 got home I noticed that there was no box, then I heard mom say that B#1 wouldn't need that hole. I went out to hear what had happened. As it turns out, the first lady I had talked to on the phone had a female cat that was still producing milk and the lady felt so bad about the kittens that she offered to take all nine of them and see if her cat would foster them! Hurray! They didn't have to be euthanized after all! :D :D

So I will finally get my nights back, Olivia can stay out of the house and we can once more have a sewing room. :) I love happy endings...

~B#2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's nice! :D I'm glad the kitties went to a good home! :D

Anonymous said...

Those poor kittens! I thought for sure they were going to die! It's a good thing that lady got the in time! Yah! :D :D
~Kaylee