Saturday, July 18, 2009

First Harvest

Finally after the second try and lots of cold weather up here, we have our first harvest of the year...zucchini of course and a head of lettuce. Isn't that what grows best in most gardens? My problem with zucchini is that the only thing our family really likes it in is zucchini bread and zucchini cake. Anyone got some really great ideas for preserving it and what to make with it? I have shredded it and frozen it in the past which works ok but you sure gotta squeeze all of the liquid out before you can bake with it.

2 comments:

Voorhees Family said...

Hello Menne's
I have any idea for your zucchini. I cut it small and put it in spaghetti sauce, simmer until it's very soft and mooshy. Usually you can't hardly see it or it's so small nobody cares. Honesty you can't taste it either. I just found this a good way to boost the nutrition in my spaghetti sauce.
I do have another recipe we love but it doesn't "hide" the zucchini flavor :)
~Mrs. V

trlhkrs said...

The veggies look absolutely beautiful!! What a splendid harvest!

Hugs to you all!!
Auntie M