Sunday, February 13, 2011

College?


Now that our oldest daughter has finished High School (at home) we get alot of "what's she going to do now, is she going to college?" questions. As of now she has no plans to go to a formal college for a degree but I can tell you that this is one girl that never stops learning. I think she is way busier now than she was during her homeschool years. Whenever we go to the library there usually is nary a fiction book to be seen in her "bookbag on wheels". Some of the things she has been learning about are herbs and herbal medicine, using herbs for animals, animal husbandry, raising cows and goats, gardening, heirloom seed saving, rabbits, chickens, spinning fiber and knitting. I love that when children love to learn they can branch out into so many different areas as opposed to going to college for just one thing. I really encourage my girls to find areas that can be useful if the Lord leads them into marriage. I can confidently say that the things she is learning and doing will all be very useful to her whether she marries or not. I even find myself going to ask her advice when one of the little ones has an illness to see what herbs she thinks will be beneficial before going to the doctor.


She actually had the priviledge of teaching our pediatrician to spin fiber for several weeks which brought about a relationship where our pediatrician was eager to hear and learn more about using herbal things in her practice.


What will the Lord have for the rest of our children regarding college? We will take it one child at a time. I do see the need for Christians in the workplace. Where would our country be without Christian doctors, lawyers, nurses, EMTs, Paramedics and policemen?


2 comments:

Goat Song said...

Love ya' mom! ;) I am truly blessed to be a part of this family!

~Caity

Kelly said...

Good cuz you are stuck with us:)