Monday, February 7, 2011

Clearing out the clutter

A recent post on one of the blogs that I read on a regular basis(http://www.raisinghomemakers.com/) talked about cleaning out the clutter. Darlene from http://www.time-warp-wife.blogspot.com (thanks Aunty M for this blog) is a contributing writer on that blog and she suggests seeing how much you can clear out in ten minutes. I like that idea but thought I would tell ya'll about something we have done in the past. I challenged everyone in our family to get rid of 10 things. At that time there were 10 people in our family so that would add up to a whopping 100 items leaving our house. I "helped" the little ones who were too little to know any difference, oh and DH too. Amazingly we did manage to do it but there still seemed to be too much stuff in our house. But I didn't just throw out the challenge and expect them to all willingly comply so we threw out that if we all got rid of 10 things each we would go for ice cream at our local ice cream shop. That helped:)



I think it is amazing how much stuff we all have and what a pack-rat mentality creeps in. I personally keep a brown paper bag in my laundry room and regulary add stuff for my next Goodwill donation.



Give it a try in your family and see how many things you can declutter from your life.

No comments: