Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Soap Making





Last month several ladies and girls got together at a friend's house to make soap using real lye. I have always wanted to learn but using lye scared me so I never pursued it. It was amazingly easy, especially when all of the ingredients were provided to us already measured out. B#2 and B#4 had a good time making several batches while B#3 helped me with the little ones to keep them out of the kitchen. A good time was had by all and we were pleased to be invited to join in with the ladies this year. We are looking forward to next year unless we get brave enough to try it on our own here at home.



There were two different ways to make the soap. One way was the "hot process" which we did using crockpots. One lady needed to do hers in the oven and that seemed to be a better way to do it. The other way was called the "cold process". That one went much quicker but had to cure for two weeks to let the lye become safe to touch. We added essential oils and fragrances to our soap to make different smells. My favorite it the lavender, as that is one of my favorite smells and flowers.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Oh, wish I could have been there. I'm definitely interested!

Let me know if there's a next time.

:o)