Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What Have I Been Up to?

 
I have had it on my mind to blog alot sooner than this but the days just get away from me. Even more so lately than usual. Since being told I have Gestational Diabetes my days consist of trying to decide the right things to eat, reading up on the issue, trying to remember to check my blood sugar two hours after each meal and walking everyday. All of that on top of the average day of homeschooling and dealing with toddlers, oh yeah, and teenagers...
 
I borrowed this book from a friend, which I have been reading, reading, reading, just hoping to find some ideas of things to eat. I didn't exactly expect to like it but it is actually a good book. I especially like the first several chapters. I feel like the authors do a great job at explaining how eating too many carbohdrates affects our bodies. The whole book is about 600 pages with a major part of it being recipes. I don't know that I would make many of the recipes but seeing some ideas of what to eat was helpful.
 
 

 I did, however, find this yummy recipe for a 1 minute cake in a mug. I have made it entirely too many times... Made with the ingredients they suggest it has no carbs and could be classified as a healthy cake. I must admit that I add 1/8 cup of chocolate chips because it makes the cake richer and supposedly doesn't affect the carbohydrate count as it keeps it under a 5. I thought I would give you the recipe along with some substitutions I used when I made it tonight, which still kept me below the 15-30 carbs I am limited to on my snacks. Actually it was so rich tonight that I only ate half and gave the other half to B#4.




Whisk 1 egg in a coffee cup
Stir in 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3-4 tsps Stevia (I used 3tsp sugar tonight)
a splash of vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tablespoon water
1 Tablespoon coconut oil(I used 1 T real butter tonight)
and I personally add in 1/8 c. or less of chocolate chips
Stir all well and microwave for 1 minute.
I like to let mine cool for awhile on a plate before enjoying.

So besides life in general, I have also been trying to get a baby blanket knitted for baby before my due date. I think I am getting somewhere but I do still have a ways to go. This is one of my favorite baby blankets as I think it makes a nice weight to cover baby in the crib. I would prefer it to stay as a crib blanket but B#10 has claimed his as his favorite "blankie" that has to go everywhere with him. It is a bit heavy for that so for this baby I decided to try to make it a bit smaller. Not sure how well that will turn out since I am not an experienced knitter but we shall see.

 
Well that is life of late. Now I think I better put B#10 to bed and get back to the knitting!

No comments: