Saturday, October 4, 2008

No hoof, no horse

The saying no hoof, no horse is a very old but very true saying. Horses' legs are very delicate and they can be hurt easily.

Yesterday morning I noticed that our dear Peaches seemed to be favoring her left front leg. I examined it carefully but couldn't find anything wrong with it so I decided to just keep an eye on it. This morning when I went out to take care of the animals I took one look at Peaches and knew something was wrong. She was holding her front left leg up, the pastern and fetlock were visibly swollen and she trembled with pain every time you touched her leg. I gave her some extra hay to keep her from trying to move and then went in to call her owner, Miss Jennifer.

Miss Jennifer came a little later and with her she brought three friends of hers; all experienced horsemen. They gave her a very in-depth examination and decided that she either has a serious sprain, she twisted her fetlock or she has a fracture somwhere. They suggested soaking her leg in an epsom salt solution twice a day for 30 minutes and putting a liniment on as well. Then seeing how she was in about three or four days. If Peaches doesn't start recovering in about four days then we will call the vet to come and take a look at her and probably take some x-rays.

I really can't figure out how she could have hurt herself. She been in our little fenced pasture where there aren't any holes or anything. And I don't think she has been running around.

So hopefully she will be better in about two weeks.
I'll keep you up-dated on her.

~B#2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for Peaches!

Horses can get their feet caught in fences and feeders, so that might have been how she got hurt.

:) How is Peaches doing now? I hope she's fully recovered. :)

~Krista