Friday, June 6, 2008

The cow that became a goat


Hello all! B#2 here again. I know your probably tired of reading everything I write (which is mostly about animals) but I guess you'll just have to get used to me because I absolutely love to journal about things and this is doubly-fun because other people get to read what I write! Anyway you are probably wondering about the strange title that I put up there so here is the answer for ya'. :)

For a looong time we have been going back and forth about which to get, a cow or more goats. We have quite a few families who have been wanting raw milk from us but it has been very hard because we only had one goat that was giving not even a half of a gallon of milk a day. So we went to visit some people who had a Jersey cow for sale and talk a little with them to get their opinion on things (they had La Mancha goats as well as a bunch of cows). The cow was really nice She was A fawn color with white patches and her name was Sunshine. The people who owned her said she was giving about 3 gallons a day. Their honest opinion was that we should stick with goats and consider getting some La Manchas because they are supposedly the best milkers. I'm going to cut a little bit of the story to make things a little shorter. :) So we went home and talked about the issue and looked at some goats for sale online. It has been pretty amusing watching mom throughout this whole ordeal; One day she'll make up her mind that were getting a cow and all of us kids would be so excited then ten minutes later she'd say were getting more goats and no cow. Day after day We've been on a seesaw of indecision. Cow? Goats? Nothing? Both?
Then one day I was looking on Craigslist at the goats for sale when I stumbled across an ad for some Oberhasli goats for sale. Oberhaslis have always been my favorite breed of goat because of their coloring which is a striking black and Tan.
So we went to go see them and we immediately knew that we wanted these goats. So now we have one doe and we are hoping to get another soon. The one that we have is a ADGA registered four year old and is giving a little over a gallon of milk a day. Her name is Alexis and the other doe that we want is a yearling whose name is Struedel. Struedel is giving about half a gallon a day but is from very good lines and is expected to be as good (or better?) as Alexis by her second freshoning. Sorry the picture of Alexis isn't very good I'll try to get a better one soon. I'll stop here for now just because my hands are tired from all that typing but don't worry I'll be back. :)

P.S. Were getting our alpacas shorn (or would you say sheared?) tomorrow so I'll get some pictures of the process so ya'll can see what that was like.

-B#2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like oberhaslis, especially the babies. Well, have fun milkin'!

~Krista

Anonymous said...

Neat, Oberhaslis! :) We used to have some too! They're so pretty!
~Kaylee

Anonymous said...

I can't wait till y'all come over and see Alexis! She is definitelty the sweetest goat we have ever had.
Before we got her I was starting to wonder if a goat even could be sweet! All our other goats that we have had were always either bad tempered, hard to milk or were just all-around pills! Alexis has proved me wrong!:D