Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Little Dresses for Africa

The girls and I went to a sew-in at our church. It was a day to get together and sew dresses for little girls in an orphanage in africa. We also worked on shorts for the boys and skirts for the women. I believe the ministry is called Show Mercy. Our church's goal is, I think, 110 of each item. You can visit their blog at www.littledressesforafrica.org.blog. I haven't visited the site yet.


Here is an example of one of the dresses. This dress is actually made from a pillowcase but we have been using fabric and bias tape. They seem to be the simplest thing to make. I brought the instructions home to make some for B#6 for summer dresses with a t-shirt underneath.


Here is B#4 working on one of the dresses she made.


We started hanging the finished dresses in ziplock bags on the bulletin board in church. It will be exciting to watch it fill up as we continue to make more.


Here is a friend's daughter doing some of the cutting. My contribution consisted of ironing as that was about all my tired, postpartum brain could handle for the day. B#2 stayed home with the little boys to help dad while I took the rest of the girls with me. B#6 made some beaded bracelets and necklaces for the girls in the orphanage while the sewing was going on.



No comments: